As a responsible parent, you want the very best for your baby and that is true when it comes to any product for baby. Once a baby is old enough to sit up on its own, you will be able to bathe them in the big people’s bathtub, but there is an important product that you want to make sure to get before you do so.
A bath mat is not only a fun addition to your baby’s bath time, but it will keep them safe and help them to avoid slipping under the water. There are several different types of bath mats and designs to choose from, so you can always get more than one for variety.
Best Baby Non-slip Bath Mats in 2017
While shopping for the best bath mat may seem like a straight-forward experience, it actually involves many factors in the decision. Some of which you may have never even realized matter. From the size of the texture, keeping your baby safe with their bath mat is a complex decision that requires research.
|Name||Size (inches)||Material||Special Features|
|Epica Bath Mat|
|Topsky Bath Mat||27x15||Eco-friendly PVC||Washable|
|Boon RIPPLE||36.5x15.75||BPA free||Built-in hook |
|Skip Hop |
|BBCare Whale |
|Anti-slip bathtub |
coating by Grip-It
|-||-||It works on textured surface|
Epica Anti-Slip Natural Rubber Bath Mat – The Easiest to Clean
This Epica bath mat is not only adorable, it is also a functional bath mat that can be a good addition to your bath accessories. It offers a non-slip grip on the bottom to keep it from moving around in a full bath. It is made from a strong rubber material which also helps it be a durable option.
A feature that you may not find in every bath mat is that this one is treated with anti-mold substance. Another benefit that it provides is its softness that makes it comfy for baby to sit on for their entire bath time. Finally, it is machine washable making it highly easy to clean.
But it may not be ideal if you have two children to bathe at a time.
Munchkin Dandy Dots – The Cutest Bath Mat for your Baby
The design is cute and bright, adding style to your bathtub. It has suction cups to keep it in place to avoid baby sliding all over the place. It’s long enough to fit more than one child on it at a time, but the raised dots may be annoying for some children. Because it isn’t treated with an anti-mildew substance, it needs continuous cleaning.
Topsky Bathtub Mat – The Best Art Mat
There is nothing like fun designs for baby to be happy. The cute art on this bath mat makes it fun for your child to pay attention to in the bath. If they like animals, they will love the cute animals that it has.
For mom and dad, you may appreciate the fact that it has anti-bacterial and mildew-resistant material which is also machine washable, which will undoubtedly make your life easier.
While not as long as other bath mats, it is long enough to provide coverage for one child. It has suction cups on the bottom for an anti-slip experience and bumps on the top part to keep baby sturdy.
Boon RIPPLE – The Bath Mat for the Minimalists
For those who aren’t the biggest fans of too much design, this solid bright blue mat will add that pop of color for your bathroom without clashing with other bath decorations. An interesting feature found on the Boon Ripple mat is holes for draining water to help keep the mildew away. It is long enough for many bathtubs and has suction cups.
While it is a highly functional mat, it is not as soft as other mats that may be more comfortable for baby to sit on. Another convenient feature is that it has a handle to hang it in the shower, which helps to keep it clean and free from mold.
Skip Hop Moby – The Best Bathmat for Marine Life Fanatics
This may possibly be one of the best mats for your child if they love whales or anything ocean-related. The fun “Moby Dick” design will have your little one focusing more on how fun bath times are, instead of possibly dreading them. It also has enough cushion for it to be comfortable enough for baby to sit on for an extended period of time.
While it only has suction cups on the outline of the whale, it does a fair enough job of sticking to the tub. It has a good length which allows for multiple kids to bathe at once. Those with textured bathtubs may have trouble with the suction power.
Munchkin Quack Duck – The Most Adorable Bath Mat
This is the perfect addition to your bathroom, especially if you have a duck theme going on. Design of this bath mat is cute and traditional bath ducky. Not only is it a cute idea for your little one to have fun with, but the fact that it has a textured surface helps to ensure that baby doesn’t slip while playing in the tub.
While not a full-length bath mat as some parents may like, it has a good suction that helps it stay stuck to the bottom throughout the whole bath time. Buyers should be aware that it may have a very strong smell upon arrival, but it will fade away in a matter of days.
BBCare Whale Shaped – The Coziest Bath Mat
This whale-shaped bath mat is a comfortable place for baby to sit while in the bath. The textured surface helps toddlers to be able to stand in the bathtub without slipping while younger babies will appreciate the comfortable place to sit while in the tub.
It is made from chemical-free materials which helps to make it safer to use. It only fits one small child on it, so isn’t ideal for parents with more than one baby to bathe at a time.
SlipDoctors Non-Slip Bath Tub Stickers – A Great Alternative
These bathtub stickers are perfect for kids who have a vivid imagination in the tub who want to have fun while they bathe. The fish and water animal designs make it fun for baby to play pretend while also keeping them safe from slipping.
The suction on these stickers is even better than many bath mats, making them a favorite for many parents. While they may be large in size, this may be a plus for parents who want to be sure they have all slippery areas covered.
Tub Grip Clear Anti-Slip Bathtub Coating by Grip-it-A Better Solution to the Tub Slip Problem
You do need to wait before applying to ensure that the coating sets to ensure safe bath times, but once it sets, it is one of the best ideas for a safe bath. The only factor to consider is that it may not last as long as a bath mat, so you may need to reapply every few months.
Ollieroo – The Best Bath Mat With Temperature Indicator
The Ollieroo bath mat provides your little one with a safe and secure place to stand while in the bathtub with its textured surface. The cute design of animals underwater makes it fun to play with while bathing. The suction cups on the bottom work well, although some parents may not like that they don’t fully cover the bottom.
There is a hot water indicator that shows when the water is too hot to help parents to avoid bathing their children in water that isn’t the right temperature. It’s very important because baby’s skin is much more sensitive to temperature than adults.
Recommended Reading: Our Top5 most reliable water thermometers.
It may arrive with a strong scent, but that will soon go away and isn’t cause for concern.
Best Baby Bath Mat – Buyer’s Guide
As a parent, you want the best for your baby and you want to be sure that bath times are a safe and fun experience and not something that causes your baby slips and falls leading to them becoming traumatic experiences. The good news is that there are ways to ensure that your baby is completely protected from falls with the perfect mat.
To help you choose the perfect bath mat for your baby and needs, we have compiled some of the top features and things to look for to assist you in your decision:
- Is your bathtub textured? Some mats don’t have as powerful suction cups as others and may not stick well to textured tubs. The solution to this problem is to look for bath mats that are fully covered in strong suction cups or purchase a coating to apply and use in combination with a good bath mat. While suction cups just around the edges of a bath mat may work well for some bath tubs, for most, it is better to find a bath mat that has suction cups covering the entire bottom of the mat.
- How many children do you have bathing at a time? If you have more than one child, you will want to look for bath mats that are longer in length than most. It may not be that great to have a mat that only one child to sit on while the other struggles with not slipping.
- Does your toddler like to walk in the bath? As much as you may try to keep them from walking in the bath, toddlers are very daring creatures and will try their best to not do what they are told. To provide them with added protection, look for a mat that covers the entire length of the tub.
- Does comfort matter? If your baby doesn’t spend too long in the bath, a mat with any type of surface may work for you, but if baby likes to soak for a long time, finding a bath mat with a soft surface will help to keep them comfortable. Just make sure that the soft surface doesn’t take away from its safety and functionality as a non-slip bath mat.
- Do they walk yet? If your little one likes to stand up in the tub, you will want to find a bath mat with a textured surface that is as non-slip as the suction cups that keep it sticking to the bottom. A bath mat with a good grip will keep them free from falls. Some bath mats have highly textured surfaces whereas others have smooth surfaces. To ensure that your little one doesn’t slip walking, it is usually better to choose the textured surface bath mat.
- How often will you clean the bath mat? This is a feature that many parents don’t pay attention to, but one that definitely matters. Mildew likes to grow in wet places and if you don’t plan on washing it and removing it every bath time, you will want the mat to have holes for the water to drain, as well as for it to have some type of anti-mildew treatment.
- Does your baby have a hard time with baths? If your little one doesn’t like bath times and you are searching for a way to not only keep them safe, but also to make it a fun experience, you will want to find bath mats or stickers with cute designs that will distract your baby and make bath time something that they look forward to.
- Does the material matter for you? Many parents want the best for their child and this may include observing the material used in your baby’s bath mat. For a truly safe bath experience, you will want a hypoallergenic bath mat that is chemical free. While most baby bath mats are made out of safe materials, it doesn’t hurt to take that extra step of using a bath mat that is guaranteed to be safe to use on a daily basis.
- Do you have patience for cleaning? It’s one thing if you don’t mind cleaning a bath mat by hand nearly every day, but if you just don’t have the time for that, but want to make sure that your bath mat stays clean and safe for your baby, you will want to find a bath mat that is machine-washable. This takes away much of the stress of keeping it free from mildew and is highly convenient.
The Most Important Factors
Just as every parent is different, every baby is different and what may work well for one parent and child may not be ideal for another, but most parents will always want one major factor in their bath mat: safety. When shopping for a bath mat, the features that truly matter the most are:
- The power of the suction cups
- The surface’s texture
- That it’s treated with anti-bacterial substance
Affordability may matter to you in your decision-making, but if you find the bath mat that seems like it will work wonders for bath time yet it costs more, don’t hesitate. Your baby’s safety is worth a few extra dollars.
Bath mats are essential for baby’s bath times. While you may have no intention of leaving a baby in the bath alone, if you turn away for a second or baby pulls free from your cautious grasp, slips and falls can happen. Whether you prefer a simple, design-free bath mat, or you want one that is full of cute designs, the most important part of buying a bath mat is if it works the way that you need it to.
A bath mat is a worthy investment, no matter what the cost. If it keeps your baby safe, it’s worth it.